The current list of countries with which Russia has restored air travel on a mutual basis is here.
Learn more about life at HSE University during the COVID-19 outbreak on the Coronavirus Live page.
Learn more about the current COVID-19 situation in Moscow on the Moscow Mayor official website.
We will update this page as new information becomes available
1. Before Arrival in Russia
1. Entry into Russia is only permitted for citizens of countries with which borders are open on a mutual basis. The current list of countries with which Russia has restored travel on a mutual basis can be found here.
If you are unable to come to Russia due to closed borders, we recommend that you read the information on the organization of distance learning in 2021.
2. Foreign citizens are advised to enter Russia on direct flights from the country of their citizenship or official residence.
|first year students
|Continuing students (years 2, 3, 4)
|Your invitation will be available in your HSE Personal Account within 40-45 days from the date when all required documents have been successfully uploaded. Please read more here: https://ivisa.hse.ru/en/bama1.||If you require a student visa, please contact your programme manager about completing a request form for a visa invitation. Invitations are issued by the Russian Ministry of Internal Affairs. The processing time is 40-45 working days, excluding the day of submission to the Ministry of Internal Affairs. Please read more here: https://ivisa.hse.ru/en/bama1.|
3. Foreign nationals entering Russia must be added to a list created by HSE University for submission to authorized executive bodies of the Russian Federation for the purpose of migration control. We kindly ask that you inform the university about your arrival:
|first year students||Continuing students (years 2, 3, 4)|
|14 calendar days before the planned entry into the Russian Federation, indicate in your HSE Personal Account the estimated date of arrival (according to the ticket).||
Send a letter from your HSE University email to your programme manager at least 14 calendar days before your planned date for arrival in Russia with the following information:
Subject of the letter: Entry of an International Student Into the Russian Federation
The body of the letter: : “I am forwarding a copy of my ID document so that I may be included on the list of foreign nationals entering the Russian Federation, as generated by HSE University, and for subsequent submission thereof to the authorized executive bodies of the Russian Federation for the purpose of migration control.”
- Your estimated date of entry into the Russian Federation (as indicated on your ticket)
- Your point of entry into the Russian Federation (name of the airport of arrival or land border crossing point)
- A scanned copy of a valid passport (the passport to be used to enter Russia. If you have two passports (for international and domestic trips), make sure you are familiar with the procedures for departing from your country and entering Russia, e.g., with your passport for international travel only);
- A scanned copy of a valid Russian study visa (if applicable).
4. Prior to arriving in Russia, international students must obtain a medical insurance policy that covers both a medical check-up and a PCR testing for COVID-19. A list of medical insurance policies and instructions for online purchase can be found at: https://www.hse.ru/en/medical/ins/.
After purchasing medical insurance, please send a scan to your programme manager.
If you already have a valid medical insurance policy purchased from a firm not included in the list of recommended insurance providers (as indicated above), please check whether your policy covers the following: a medical check-up, and tests for HIV, hepatitis and COVID19. If your policy does not cover these options, you must pay for a medical check-up and testing.
5. The first PCR-test must be done in your country of departure, no earlier than three calendar days prior to your arrival in the Russian Federation.
6. If you plan to live in an HSE University dormitory, please request accommodation referral:
|first year students||Continuing students (years 2, 3, 4)|
|Students admitted to state-funded places (100% scholarships) are assigned accommodation in HSE University dormitories via their online personal accounts. You will be able to access the Dormitory (Общежитие) section of your account after completing the Offer of Admission (Согласие) section and the recognition procedure, but not earlier than August 16, 2021. A referral to check in to your dormitory with the exact address and room number will be available in your online account three days before the date of your arrival in the Russian Federation, which you must specify in your online account in advance in accordance with the purchased ticket. By the time you arrive to study, there will be a place in one of HSE University’s dormitories reserved for you. Please download and print out an accommodation referral form to present at the dormitory.||Three days prior to your arrival in Russia, you must inform the Dormitory Management Office of the date of your arrival to request an accommodation referral (please contact Lubov Barminova firstname.lastname@example.org, or Elena Grishkova - email@example.com).|
- If you plan to live in rented accommodation and would like a free COVID-19 test organized by HSE University, you must inform the HSE University Office of Staff and Student Benefits about the date of your arrival, as well as the address of your residence while in Russia, at least three days prior to the date of your planned arrival in the Russian Federation (Dinara Bagautdinova - firstname.lastname@example.org).
7. If you were vaccinated against COVID-19 in your country, or have an official medical exemption from vaccination, you must upload supporting documents with a notarized translation to your Personal Account.
2. Border Crossing
1. Only persons who have filled out an 'Application form for those who are on flights to the Russian Federation for border crossing' are allowed to go through border control. The application must be printed out in advance, filled out and shown to the employees of Rospotrebnadzor at health control.
2. When entering the Russian Federation, do not forget to present your original test results (certificates) in Russian or English. You may be asked to show the results of a negative test for COVID-19 when leaving your country and at border control in Russia.
3. Please remember to specify "Education" as the purpose of your visit on your migration card when entering the Russian Federation.
3. Upon Arrival in Russia
Upon arrival in the Russian Federation, international students must take a second PCR test within 72 hours after their entry into the country. Prior to this, they must remain in self-isolation at their place of residence.
International students can reduce the self-isolation period by taking a second PCR test for COVID-19 at the airport of their arrival in Russia. The results of the express test will be ready in about two hours. Please note that the express test is not covered by medical insurance.
If you are unable to take an express test upon arrival, you must remain in self-isolation at your place of residence. The university’s medical team will arrange a PCR test within 72 hours (for more information about how to apply for a COVID-19 test organized by HSE University if you plan to live in rented accommodation, please see paragraph 5 of ‘Before Arriving in Russia’).
After receiving the result of the second PCR test, please send scanned copies of both certificates with negative PCR test results to your programme manager.
You can find detailed information about dormitory check-in procedure here.
If students in self-isolation develop any symptoms or feel unwell, they should immediately contact medical services for assistance by calling ‘103’ or ‘112’.
4. Life at HSE University
We recommend that you read about the organization of studies in the 2021/22 academic year.
1. Safety Measures
Masks are still mandatory on campus. On university premises, all staff and students must wear masks or respirators that fully cover the mouth and nose.
If you forget your mask, you can buy one at BookVyshka, the university bookstore (located at 20 Myasnitskaya and 11 Pokrovsky Boulevard). Study office managers also have a supply of masks.
2. HSE students and staff can get a free COVID-19 test
Free voluntary testing for COVID-19 is available at HSE University. Students and staff members can get tested once a week by prior appointment via SmartLMS.