Studies and dorm life during Modules 3&4, 2022 for exchange and visiting students

Current COVID-19 measures in Moscow

You can find updates on the current COVID-19 measures in Moscow on The Moscow Times website, Coronavirus in Russia section.

What are the current COVID-19 restrictions in Moscow (as of December 2021)?

In Moscow, QR codes will be required for attending theatres, museums, concerts, entertainment, cultural and sports events with 500 people or more in attendance.

  1. All restaurants and shopping malls are open; no QR-code is required, but masks are obligatory 
  2.  Masks are obligatory in public transport. The fine for not wearing a mask in metro is 5 000 roubles.
  3. Access to museums, theaters, concerts, sports and other mass events is with QR-codes. 

QR code

How can I get a QR code?

As Russia and other countries have not agreed on mutual recognition of vaccine certificates yet, being vaccinated outside Russia does not make one eligible for a Russian QR code.

There are currently two ways an international student can get a QR code:

1. Take a PCR-test (valid for 48 hours);

2. Get vaccinated with a Russian vaccine in Russia.

How can I take a free PC- test at HSE University?

1. Log in your HSE personal profile on HSE SmartPoint with your HSE e-mail and password.

2. Click on Registration for testing for COVID 19

3. Fill in the form.




How can I get vaccinated in Russia?

1. If you have a SNILS number:

You can get vaccinated for free at a partner hospital of HSE University. Please check the info here


2. If you do not have a SNILS number:

You can get vaccinated for a fee. Please check the info here.

How can I get a SNILS number?

You will most likely need some help from a Russian-speaking friend or a buddy to go through the process.

1. Get a notarized translation of your passport into Russian. It has to be done by a translation agency. The HSE Translation Centre does not do notarized translations.

2. Go to a Pension Fund Centre (ПФР)  to apply for a so-called SNILS – СНИЛС number. You will need your passport and the notarized translation of your passport.

3. Register on Gosuslugi website and confirm your account by visiting one of the Gosuslugi support Centres. You will need your passport and your SNILS number.

Study Process at HSE University

What is the mode of studies at HSE in Modules 3 and 4 of 2021/22?

Module 3 is going to start in the face-to-face mode with a number of courses running in the online mode. (More info)

Are HSE buildings currently open?

Yes, HSE university buildings (including libraries and canteens) are open.

Read more info

Are students allowed to travel?

There are currently no restrictions on travelling around Russian. However, please remember that travelling can increase your risk of getting COVID-19 and spreading it to others. Please avoid non-essential travelling until the epidemiological situation improves.

Also please note that many Russian cities have introduced temporary COVID-19 restrictions.

What happens if I get COVID-19?

1. If you are feeling unwell, please approach your dorm administration to arrange a PCR-test.

2. If your PCR-test result is positive, the ambulance will take you to a hospital (severe cases, until recovery) or an observation facility (mild cases, for around 14 days and until you have two negative PCR-tests).

What happens if someone in my dorm gets COVID-19?

If you have been in contact with a COVID-infected student (e.g. you live on the same floor in the dorm), you will receive a notification that you must self-isolate for 14 days in an HSE observation facility for students who have been in contacted with a COVID-infected person (covered by HSE University).

However, persons who have undergone a full course of vaccination against COVID-19 within the last six months, as well as those who have had COVID-19 within the last six months, are not subject to isolation in the absence of COVID-19 symptoms (see more info here).